Looking for a tasty, antioxidant-rich sauce that goes great on almost anything? This flavorful, super easy cilantro lime sauce is worth a try. Plus, it keeps in the refrigerator for three days.
Cilantro is one of my favorite herbs. I enjoy using it in a variety of dishes including tacos, soups, dips, fish, chicken, shrimp etc. Combine it with a few other ingredients and you have yourself a flexible, plant-based sauce.
Cilantro Lime Sauce Main Ingredients
With only six ingredients, cilantro lime sauce comes together in a matter of minutes. An entirely plant-based green sauce that’s tangy and citrusy, with a kick of spice.
- Cilantro- Measure out 3/4 cup of packed cilantro leaves.
- Jalapeno- You’ll need one large jalapeno or 1/4 cup chopped. You can also substitute with 1/4 of a green bell pepper.
- Lime Juice- The juice from one lime (about two tablespoons) gives this sauce a nice citrusy taste.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil- You’ll need 1/4 cup of this healthy fat.
- Garlic- Toss in one clove of garlic for added flavor.
- Sea Salt- Use 3/4 teaspoon of sea salt or more to taste.
This antioxidant-rich sauce is full of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. Cilantro and jalapeno peppers contain vitamins K, A, and B6. And extra virgin olive oil is full of monounsaturated fatty acids which have been shown to lower LDLs (bad cholesterol). A sauce that is both delicious and nutritious.
Two Easy Steps to Make 10-Minute Sauce
All you need is a high-powered blender and in 10 minutes you’ll have a healthy, versatile topping. Follow these two simple steps to get started.
STEP ONE: PREP INGREDIENTS
You’ll want to wash and dry the cilantro and measure out 3/4 cup of packed leaves. No need to cut just simply pull off the leaves and measure. Wash and coarsely chop the jalapeno (to measure out 1/4 cup). Add ingredients to a high-powered blender including cilantro, jalapeno pepper, one whole garlic clove, the juice from one lime (or two tablespoons), extra virgin olive oil, and sea salt.
Want a spicier sauce? Add more jalapeno pepper. For a milder sauce, use 1/4 of a green bell pepper. Simply, cut off one-fourth of the bell pepper and set it aside (no need to chop).
STEP TWO: BLEND
Blend the ingredients for 30-45 seconds until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings. Use right away or cover and store in the refrigerator for up to three days.
How To Use Cilantro Lime Sauce
You’ll find cilantro lime sauce has multiple uses. Consider using it as a topping for fish, chicken, shrimp, pork etc. It can also serve as a marinade for meats and vegetables and also as a sauce for rice and grains (e.g. quinoa).
How long can you store cilantro lime sauce? Cilantro lime sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to three days when properly stored.
Want More Healthy Topping Ideas?
Check out these other healthy marinades and topping recipes:
- Delicious Greek Chicken Kebabs [6 Ingredient Marinade]
- Easy Tzatziki Sauce Recipe
- Homemade Recipe for Ranch Dip (Plain Yogurt)
- Black Bean, Peach, & Mango Salsa (Fresh & Delicious!)
- Edamame Guacamole Recipe [Fresh, Easy, & Homemade]
Cilantro Lime Sauce- 10 Minutes
- 3/4 cup cilantro, leaves tightly packed (1 bunch)
- 1/4 cup jalapeno pepper, roughly chopped (about 1 large jalapeno pepper)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced (or 2 tablespoons of lime juice)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste (I use Redmond's Real Salt)
- Prep all the ingredients. Place all of the ingredients in a high-powered blender and mix for 30-45 seconds.
- You can substitute jalapeno pepper with 1/4 of a green bell pepper.
+ Leave a comment