This butternut squash recipe for stew is simply the best! Made with fresh ingredients and simmered to perfection. Packed with plant-based protein. You can enjoy it as a vegetarian dish or add stew meat.
When the cold weather hits, this butternut squash stew recipe is one of our favorite go-to’s. Stew is an easy, delicious way to incorporate butternut squash into your main course. Plus, the fall and early winter months are the time to take advantage of this readily available produce.
Butternut Squash Nutritional Value
With a tan colored skin and orange interior, this winter squash is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, magnesium, and fiber. It has a sweet yet nutty taste and becomes quite tender upon cooking.
Butternut Squash Recipe Main Ingredients
This butternut squash recipe is warm and wholesome. Filled with cozy spices, yummy flavors, and nutrients. Packed with two cans of plant-based protein. Keep it vegetarian or add stew meat.
- Butternut Squash- You’ll need a small butternut squash about 1 1/4 pound.
- Organic Green Bell Pepper– Add a diced green bell pepper to add flavor and color.
- Onion– Use one small onion.
- Black Beans– Beans provide ample protein and wonderful texture.
- Tomato Paste– Adds depth and flavor to the stew.
- Vegetable or Chicken Broth– For completely vegan use vegetable broth.
- Diced Tomatoes– You’ll need one can of diced tomatoes.
- Spices– Add a combination of cumin, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper.
How To Make Butternut Squash Recipe For Stew
Butternut squash stew is simply delicious and easy to throw on the stove.
- Before starting the stew, a simple trick to make the squash easier to peel and cut is to place it in a microwave for 3-4 minutes to soften the skin. Allow it to cool enough to handle. Then proceed to peel and dice into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Set aside.
- Heat oil on medium heat in a large pot until shimmery. Then add diced onion and bell pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Next, add the cumin, paprika, and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds until fragant. Then stir in the tomato paste.
- Finally, add the butternut squash, diced tomatoes, black beans, broth, and filtered water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the squash is fork tender. This takes about 25-30 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Looking For Other Soup & Stew Recipes?
Check out these additional soup and stew recipes you’ll enjoy during the colder months.
- Recipe For Green Chili Stew With Chicken (New Mexico Style)
- Quick, Healthy Minestrone Soup
- Green Curry Thai Soup (With Noodles)
- Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Creamy Asparagus Soup (Dairy-Free)
Butternut Squash Recipe for Stew (Simply Delicious!)
- 1 1 1/4 lb. butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 small medium onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 15 ounce cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 pound stew meat (chicken or beef)*
- Microwave the butternut squash for approximately 3 minutes to make it easier to peel and cut. Remove and let it rest for 2 minutes to cool enough to handle.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the squash. Slice squash in half and remove seeds. Cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks.
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until softened. Mix in garlic, cumin, and paprika. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add squash, black beans, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until squash is tender about 25-30 minutes. Be sure to stir occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.