This festive corn salad is a perfect summer or early fall dish. Colorful and delicious. Made with fresh ingredients and tossed in a light vinaigrette. Enjoy it as an appetizer or side salad.
Corn salad is flavorful and simple to make.
You’ll have this recipe whipped up in a matter of minutes. You can serve it immediately or chill it and save it for later.
What’s In Corn Salad?
Corn salad is made with fresh, real, whole food ingredients. Tossed in a light vinaigrette of olive oil, lemon, and herbs. It’s versatile when it comes to substituting certain ingredients. I’ll share some of these substitution ideas below.
- Fresh Corn- You’ll need three ears of corn or about three cups of fresh corn kernels. Consider purchasing from your local farmer’s market for the best flavor and quality.
- Red Bell Pepper– One red bell pepper or about one cup of chopped bell pepper. Adds color and texture to the dish.
- Red Onion– Measure one-third cup of diced red onion. Provides a nice bite of flavor and crunch.
- Cucumber- Use one cucumber and peel the outside to avoid a bitter taste. Dice small.
- Avocado- A great source of healthy fat. You’ll need one avocado, diced.
- Feta- One-third cup of crumbled feta cheese. You can omit if you need a dairy-free option.
- Olive Oil- This makes the base of the vinaigrette and is a great source of healthy fat. Measure out two tablespoons.
- Lemon- Adds acidity and lifts the flavor of the other ingredients. Use two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice (about one lemon).
- Fresh Herbs (Parsley and Cilantro)- Fresh herbs add flavor and added color to the yellow corn. You’ll need three tablespoons of parsley, finely chopped. And two tablespoons of cilantro also finely chopped.
- Garlic- One clove of minced garlic is fresh and full of antioxidants.
- Salt and Pepper- Start with 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Add more to taste.
- Optional: Green Onions- Add chopped green onion on top.
In case you’re missing a certain ingredient, prefer something else, or simply want options, I’ve got you covered. Below are swap ideas for some of the ingredients listed above.
- Red bell pepper → Swap with grape or cherry tomatoes in a 1:1 ratio.
- Feta → Use cotija or Parmigiano-Reggiano instead.
- Lemon → Substitute with red wine vinegar or fresh lime juice.
- Cilantro → You can use basil instead.
If desired, you can omit the avocado and/or cucumber. But beware the more you eliminate the fewer textures and flavors you’ll get as an end result.
How To Make Delicious Corn Salad?
Using fresh ingredients is the first step to creating a flavorful corn salad. You’ll have this festive corn salad ready to serve in about 15 minutes from prep to finish. Just prep, sauté, and combine.
STEP ONE: PREP INGREDIENTS
You’ll want to chop and dice the bell pepper, onion, cucumber, and avocado. Mince the garlic and finely chop the herbs.
When it comes to the corn, the easiest method I found was to cut off the kernels from the cob and then sauté. However, you can boil the corn first, cool slightly, and then cut off the kernels. This is all about personal preference.
STEP TWO: SAUTE CORN
Once you have cut off the corn kernels from the cob, you’ll sauté the corn. Place in a heated pan with olive oil on medium-high heat for about 4-5 minutes.
As noted above, if you prefer to boil your corn and then cut off the kernels, you can do that too. You’ll need to boil the corn for about 7-8 minutes.
STEP THREE: COMBINE AND SERVE
Once the corn is cooked, combine all of your ingredients in a large bowl. Mix to completely coat in the vinaigrette of olive oil and lemon. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Top with chopped green onion and serve!
What To Serve With Corn Salad?
Festive corn salad goes great with about anything. Personally, I eat it sometimes on its own for a lighter lunch. However, you can serve it alongside Turkey Burgers or Greek Chicken Kebabs. It would also go great with Honey Lime Vegetarian Tacos or Flavorful Turkey Stuffed Poblano Peppers.
Want Other Healthy Side Recipes?
Look no further. Check out these other healthy side dishes. Either serve alongside this festive corn salad or cook these up for other dinner nights.
- Quinoa Salad with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Easy, Greek Chickpea Salad Recipe (With Healthy Vinaigrette)
- Black Bean, Peach, & Mango Salsa (Fresh & Delicious!)
- Quick, Zesty Black Bean & Quinoa Salad
Festive Corn Salad
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (About three ears of corn)
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced (About one bell pepper)
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled and diced small
- 1 avocado, diced small
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced small
- 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped (Can substitute with fresh basil)
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (You'll need some additional olive oil to sauté the corn)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (About one lemon. Can substitute with red wine vinegar or fresh lime juice)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste (I use Redmond's Real Salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled (Can substitute with cotija or Parmigiano- Reggiano)
- 1 green onion, chopped (Use as topping)
- First prep all of the ingredients. Dice small the red bell pepper, red onion, cucumber, and avocado. Mince the garlic and finely chop the fresh herbs. Cut off the kernels from the corn on the cob.
- Add kernels to a pan with olive oil on medium-high heat. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until cooked. (You can also boil the corn on the cobs for 7-8 minutes, cool slightly, and then cut off the kernels).
- In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients. Mix to completely coat with olive oil and lemon vinaigrette. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Top with chopped green onions if desired. Serve immediately or cover and chill for later.
+ Leave a comment