Greek village salad is made with fresh ingredients, a light vinaigrette, and comes together in a matter of minutes. Serve it as a side salad or have it as a main meal just add some protein.
Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
This Greek village salad, known as Horiatiki- meaning village salad, is a traditional salad served in Greece. Simple ingredients come together to make this fresh and delicious dish.
If you can use fresh herbs do so, you’ll take the flavor of this salad to a whole other level.
Main Ingredients for Greek Village Salad
You’ll only need a few ingredients to put together this main salad.
- Cucumber- You’ll need one peeled cucumber cut into half-moons. Removing the peel is important as it tends to be bitter.
- Tomatoes- For this recipe, I use cherry tomatoes but traditionally regular tomatoes are used. You can select either two large tomatoes or use one and a half cups of cherry tomatoes.
- Green Bell Pepper- You’ll need half of a green bell pepper sliced. Because bell peppers fall on the Environmental Working Group’s Dirty Dozen you’ll want to purchase organic bell peppers.
- Red Onion- About 1/4-1/2 of a red onion sliced.
- Kalamata Olives- You can use pitted olives and will need about 12 of them.
- Feta Cheese- Top the salad with four ounces of crumbled feta cheese.
A light vinaigrette coats all the ingredients to create a wonderful flavor.
- Olive Oil- You’ll need two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Lemon Juice- Use two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. (You can also swap with red wine vinegar).
- Oregano- If you use fresh oregano, you’ll need half of a tablespoon. For dried oregano, you’ll need half a teaspoon.
- Garlic Clove– You’ll used one minced clove or garlic.
- Salt and Pepper- Add to taste. I sometimes omit the added salt as the feta and kalamata are both very salty.
- Optional: Basil- You can use two fresh basil leaves finely chopped or a pinch of dried basil.
How To Create The Best Greek Village Salad
The ingredients may be simple but the taste is delicious. This very well may become your new summer salad. To create a Greek village salad, follow these three steps.
STEP ONE: PREP ALL THE INGREDIENTS
Before you make this classic salad, you’ll want to prep all of the ingredients. Peel and cut the cucumbers into thick half-moons. If using regular tomatoes, cut into wedges. For the cherry tomato alternative cut them in half. The green bell pepper will need to be sliced (or julienned) into semi-thin strips.
In a small bowl, you’ll want to combine the vinaigrette ingredients including the olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, minced garlic, and basil, if using. You can also add salt and pepper to taste.
STEP TWO: COMBINE MAIN SALAD INGREDIENTS
Once you’ve prepped the main salad ingredients, you’ll combine all of them in a large bowl. Save the kalamata olives and feta cheese for the end after you’ve coated the salad in the dressing.
STEP THREE: COAT WITH VINAIGRETTE AND ADD TOPPINGS
You’ll add the vinaigrette to the salad and toss to evenly coat. Finally, top the salad with kalamata olives and feta cheese.
What To Serve With Greek Village Salad
You can also use this salad as a main meal. You can add some protein like shrimp, chicken or garbanzo beans. You can also spoon the diced vegetables into lightly grilled pita bread and drizzle on some dressing for a filling sandwich.
Looking For More Healthy Sides?
Check out the following recipes for more healthy, delicious side dish recipes.
- Easy, Greek Chickpea Salad Recipe (With Healthy Vinaigrette)
- Quick, Zesty Black Bean & Quinoa Salad
- Dairy-Free Greek Cabbage Salad (Vinegar Coleslaw)
- How to Make Curry-Flavored Roasted Cauliflower
Fresh Greek Village Salad Recipe
- 1 cucumber, peeled and cut into thick half-moons
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (Traditionally regular tomatoes are used and cut into wedges. Both work. Use about 2 large regular tomatoes in place of the cherry.)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced into semi-thin strips
- 1/4-1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (About 1 lemon. You can also use red wine vinegar.)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (You can also use 1/2 tablespoon of fresh oregano)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 teaspoon Dried Basil (You can also use two fresh basil leaves finely chopped)
- 12 kalamata olives
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled or sliced
- Add the main salad ingredients to a large bowl. Combine the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables and gently toss until evenly coated. Add additional oregano, salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with kalamata olives and feta cheese. Serve immediately.