A New Mexico staple – this warm and cozy green chili stew is perfect for those cold winter nights. It’s full flavor and made as mild or spicy as you’d like. Plus, this recipe comes together in less than an hour.
GREEN CHILI STEW WITH CHICKEN IS DELICIOUSLY FILLING AND EASY TO MAKE.
We love making this stew during the colder months. My husband and I prefer the spicier version and will throw in a habanero pepper or two. But most of the time for my kids’ sake, we keep it mild.
Green Chili Stew Ingredients
A few simple ingredients create this tasty green chili stew. This take on a classic adds carrots and celery for additional nutrition. You can add or omit certain peppers to make it as mild or spicy as you like.
- Organic Chicken Breasts: You’ll need about 1 1/2 pounds or 4 boneless, skinless breasts, cut into cubes.
- Need a vegetarian option? Swap the chicken for a 15-ounce (no salt added) can of pinto, cannellini or Great Northern beans.
- Onion and Garlic: You’ll cook one chopped onion and three garlic cloves minced with the chicken breasts.
- Hatch Green Chili Peppers: Depending on how spicy you want to the stew you can add either one 4-ounce can of mild or hot green chili peppers, chopped.
- Spices: A combination of basil, cumin, thyme, and marjoram make up the main spices.
- Carrots and Celery: The recipe calls for 4 carrots and 4 celery stalks. Cubed and chopped respectively. These hearty vegetables provide extra nutrition.
- Red Potatoes: You’ll need only three red potatoes, cubed. You can also swap the larger potates for about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of baby red potatoes.
- Chicken Broth: A 32-ounce carton of reduced-sodium chicken broth provides just the right amount of liquid.
- Optional Ingredient: For a spicier kick add 1 or 2 seeded and chopped habanero peppers. These tiny orange peppers give the stew a spicy kick.
How To Make The Best Green Chili Stew
This New Mexico style green chili stew comes together in three easy steps.
- Prep Ingredients. Save time by prepping all the ingredients before you begin cooking. Start by chopping the vegetables- onion, carrots, celery, red potatoes, cilantro and mince the garlic. Cube the chicken and measure out the spices. Really short on time? Prep the ingredients the night before to eliminate this step.
- Cook Chicken, Onion, and Garlic. In a medium stockpot over medium heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onion, chicken, and garlic and cook until the chicken is white with no pink remaining. About 10 minutes.
- Add Remaining Ingredients And Simmer. Finally add the spices, green chili peppers, carrots, celery, red potatoes, cilantro and cover with chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender.
Taste before serving. Add any additional salt and pepper deemed necessary. Serve and enjoy. Makes a little more than 4 servings.
What To Serve With Green Chili Stew
Green chili stew is great on its own; however, I’ll share a few of my favorite toppings and sides.
Ideas For Toppings And Sides
- Cilantro- Add additional fresh cilantro. This delicate herb is packed with antioxidants and has a wonderful flavor.
- Avocado- Slice up an avocado and add some healthy fat to this dish.
- Mozzarella Cheese- Add a little bit of freshly grated mozzarella cheese.
- Plain Full-Fat Greek Yogurt- Add a dollop of plain Greek yogurt.
- Homemade Flour Tortillas- Hands down one of my favorite things to make. I haven’t purchased store bought in over 4 years. You can also use corn tortillas.
- Homemade Cornbread– I’ll have to share one of my cornbread recipes soon. We switch between serving this stew with tortillas and cornbread.
Make this one your own staple dish- whether you create a spicy rendition, serve with a variety of toppings and sides or keep it minimal. Simply enjoy!
Recipe for Green Chili Stew With Chicken (New Mexico Style)
- 1 tablepsoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pound organic, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 chicken breasts)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I use Redmond's Real Salt)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 4 ounce can green chili peppers, chopped (mild)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for serving)
- 4 carrots, peeled and cubed
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 red potoatoes, cubed (about 1/2 inch)
- 1 32 ounce carton reduced sodium, organic chicken broth
Optional for added heat (spiciness)
- 2 habanero peppers seeded and minced
- Trim and cut the chicken breasts into cubes. Prep the other ingredients.
- Heat a medium stockpot on medium heat with one tablespoon of olive oil. Add chicken, onion, garlic, and salt. Cook until the chicken is white about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients- basil, cumin, thyme, marjoram, green chili peppers, cilantro, carrots, celery, potatoes, chicken broth, (and habaneros if using).
- Bring to a boil. Then simmer until the potatoes and carrots are tender about 30 minutes. Taste and add additional salt and pepper. Serve and enjoy!