Zucchini noodles with pesto are nothing short of delicious and filling. Zucchini’s tender flesh and delicate flavor make it a perfect veggie pasta option. The versatility of zucchini is endless ⎯ you can grill it, fry it, saute it, and even bake it.
Our vegetable garden is always full of zucchini by the time August rolls around. And sometimes it’s hard to keep up⎯ but I enjoy using it in a variety of ways such as these Baked Zucchini Fries.
And when it comes to zucchini noodles ⎯ they are super easy to create and cook. You don’t need special equipment or a ton of time. Plus, adding pistachio pesto on top takes their dull flavor to another level.
What You’ll Need To Make Zucchini Noodles With Pesto
You can make zucchini noodles with pesto in a matter of minutes ⎯ regardless of whether you have fresh pesto on hand or need to make this quick recipe for Pistachio Pesto.
- Zucchini– Two large zucchini (about 2 pounds) will do the trick.
- Parmigiano-Reggiano- Real Italian cheese found in the specialty cheese section. (You also use this in the homemade pistachio pesto).
- Pistachio Pesto– Three tablespoons or more to taste. You can also use store bought pesto.
- Pistachios- Two tablespoons to add some extra crunch, protein, and flavor.
- Salt and Pepper- About 1/2 teaspoon and 1/4 teaspoon respectively, to taste.
How To Make Zucchini Noodles With Pesto
You can peel or spiral zucchini to create thin ribbons or spaghetti-style noodles. This comes down to preference and what tools you have on hand.
For thin ribbon noodles, a simple vegetable peeler works wonders. For thicker, spaghetti-cut noodles, a spiralizer comes in handy. You can use either a manual or automatic one. I have one that attaches to my KitchenAid.
- Thinner Ribbon Noodles– Using a vegetable peeler, peel the zucchini from top to bottom, slowly rotating until you reach the seeds.
- Spiral (Spaghetti) Noodles- Cut off both ends of the zucchini and place in a spiralizer. Either manually or automatically spiralize the zucchini to create long, thick noodles.
Once you have your zucchini noodles, now it’s time to cook. Follow these three simple steps.
❶ Heat up a skillet on medium-high heat with about 2 tablespoons of olive or avocado oil.
❷ Add zucchini noodles. Stir gently with tongs for 2-3 minutes until warmed through and slightly softened.
❸ Remove skillet from heat. Add 3 tablespoons of pesto, 2 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper, and 2 tablespoons of pistachios.
Serve and enjoy!
How To Store Zucchini Noodles
Zucchini noodles with pesto will keep in the fridge for up to three days in an airtight container. When ready to eat, simpy reheat in a skillet or in the microwave and enjoy.
You May Also LIke
Check out these other veggie recipes.
- Crispy Baked Zucchini Fries Recipe (or Yellow Squash)
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Walnuts & Pomegranates (Easy!)
- Quinoa Salad with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Honey Lime Vegetarian Taco Recipe (Sweet Potatoes, Beans, and Corn)
Zucchini Noodles with Pesto & Pistachios
- 2 large (about 2 pounds) zucchini
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I use Redmond's Real Salt)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (Plus more for serving)
- 2 tablespoons pistachios (Can also use pine nuts)
- 3 tablespoons homemade pistachio pesto (see notes) or best quality store-bought
Make Zucchini Noodles
- For thin ribbon noodles, use a veggie peeler to peel the zucchini into long thin strips. Rotate the zucchini as you peel until you reach the seeds in the center.
- For spaghetti-stye noodles, use an automatic or manual spiralizer to make long thick sprial noodles.
Cook Zucchini Noodles
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add the zucchini noodles and use tongs to gently toss the zucchini until slightly softened and warmed through. About 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Add salt, pepper, freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, pesto, and pistachios. Toss to evenly coat. Serve and enjoy!
+ Leave a comment